Monday, December 5, 2011

The Christmas Countdown: Four Weeks Before Christmas

I really do have dumb arithmetic skills. I think I should have done my post a week earlier if I am following the five week before Christmas countdown. Oh well. Let's not sweat the small stuff because it's Christmas time!

When I woke up this morning and dragged my tired ass on the way to work, I felt for the first time that Christmas is already in the air. There was a cold breeze, reminiscent of Decembers past who accompanied me on my hour long journey to the hospital today and on the way back from a full day of examining patients I was treated to Christmas lights of different styles, motifs and sizes. Plus tonight the air is colder as well that I just had to play Glee's Christmas album Vol. 2.

Of course like any person its hard for you to shake off your inner childhood during the Yuletide season. This means getting gifts, money and vouchers. And also shopping for family, friends, inaanaks and for thyself!

I usually make a wish list every year. Sometimes its too early, sometimes I do it on Christmas Eve. Some years I posted it here, others on one of the countless journals I have kept. Its fun. It never ever gets old! Though you don't actually get all of it, it really is awesome when someone gives you some of it. So for the sake of tradition and shouting to the universe, here it is:

Christmas Wish List - Material Things:

1.) A Book (I'm such dork) - 1Q84 or The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami, Survivor by Chuck Palahnuik, and A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby.
2.) A Graphic Novel - Blankets by Craig Thompson, Ghost World by Daniel Cowley and From Hell by Alan Moore
3.) Skater shoes - any brand as long as I can wear it to formal events
4.) T-shirts - Department stores such as SM and Robinsons both have affordable yet good quality selections
5.) Long sleeeved Shirts - From People are People or Forever 21
6.) A DSLR - so I can take photography lessons
7.) A Yoga Mat - so I can attend yoga sessions or do it on my own at home
8.) New Doc Martens or military boots from Forever 21- I want a newer one
9.) Coffeetable book - anything on Film, Travel or Pop Culture
10.) This Book Will Change your Life Planner - It's quirky and fun!

Christmas Wish List - Immaterial Things

1.) A Spot for Residency of my choice so that I can start by early or mid next year
2.) Good health to myself, family and friends
3.) Stronger bonds among friends
4.) More opportunities for my family members
5.) Peace in Cebu City, the Philippines and the whole world.
6.) That I shan't lose my drive and zeal for work and career
7.) More interesting people to meet
8.) Gaining more confidence and lesser on the inferiority complex
9.) Being able to do things that I really want
10.) Goals for next year be achieved

So there you go, I am such a traditional dork and an old fashioned bibliophile. Even a shirt of my favorite cartoon or comic character makes me happy.

I'm just giddy of the upcoming events this December that its very hard for me to study: Christmas parties with my high school barkada, get togethers with more intimate friends, my high school's tenth year reunion, Noche Buena at home and exchanging gifts, shopping at bazaars and clearance sales, lechon and booze on New Year's Eve and a whole lotta more!

No comments: