Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Christmas Countdown - Five Weeks Before Xmas

Inspired by the movie "Love Actually", which I watched for the nth time again, I will post at least one entry about Christmas once per week and it starts this week, five weeks before Christmas like the movie, in which the events started five weeks before Christmas.

So for this installment I will be taking about my Top Ten Favorite Christmas Albums of all time. Growing up Christmas carols have been a huge part of Christmas celebrations in the house. My mom would buy tapes and then we would listen to it while preparing for Christmas eve dinners or wrapping gifts. And yeah they do make the season brighter! Ten years ago my mom updated our cassette tapes with CDs and maybe this year we will be going digital! Its about time!

Here's the list in random order:

1.) Christmas in Our Hearts - Jose Mari Chan
This album is as Pinoy as Puto Bumbong or Parol. And any kid who grew up in the 90s has lots and lots of memories listening to this album in cassette tapes. I love this album so much because probably like any Filipino kid listening to this every Christmas brings back precious Christmas memories. And of course Jose Mari Chan's voice is the perfect complement to cold December mornings anticipating and waiting. My heart just melts every time I hear "Perfect Christmas".

2.) Music from The O.C.: Have a Very Merry Chrismukkah - Various Artists
I love both the show and all its soundtracks - all six of them. Chrismukkah plays a very important role every Christmas episode. It is a actually a mix of Christmas and Hanukkah in which the characters from the show uniquely celebrate. This album is composed of modern Christmas songs with an indie rock vibe. The songs are not your typical holiday jingle feel but it is appropriate for a Christmas get together for old friends.

3.)Christmas with the Chimpmunks - Alvin and the Chipmunks
Lolo Peping, Lola Naring's (my late great-grandmother) had an extensive vinyl record collection which included this. I remember this being played (the vinyl record) when I was four or five and my cousins, siblings and I would laugh while listening to the squeaky voices of the threesome crooning the speakers while waiting for twelve midnight, all excited to open our gifts. Another childhood favorite!

4.) Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album - Glee Cast
This was the official Christmas soundtrack of 2010. Fresh off their sophomore season's success, Glee released a feel good Christmas album with fresh renditions and mash ups of ubiquitous carols and not so common ones with superb blending. Favorites include "Baby It's Cold Outside, Deck the Rooftops and Oh, Christmas Tree. Looks like I will be listening again this year.

5.) The Jackson 5 Christmas Album - Jackson 5
Yes, Lolo Peping also had this on a vinyl record and this was also overplayed during Christmas Eve parties. This album is composed of Christmas songs with a Motown touch plus anti-war pro-peace Christmas songs. I love "Someday at Christmas" and "Give Love on Christmas Day".

6.) Nabali ang Christmas Tree - Max Surban
Translated into English as "The Christmas Tree Broke",this is probably the odd one out but I am 100% Bisaya so it makes me proud to add one to the list. The history behind my attachment to this Christmas album dates back to the late 80's. Our next door neighbor loudly played the whole album one Christmas eve morning over and over until we got tired from laughing so hard over and over again. All the songs are in Cebuano and parodies the Christmas season from being poor and broke, hiding from your godchildren and firework accidents. My favorite is the Visayan version of The Christmas Alphabet. The humor in the songs are very Bisaya in trademark. Bugal-bugalon!

7.) Classic Christmas - Billy Gilman
He was a twelve year old child with a powerful voice that soared. I wonder where he is now? Anyway this album takes me back to Christmas 2000 where we spent Christmas in The Dusit Hotel in Makati. I particularly enjoy the new song "Warm and Fuzzy". Yeah, it really does make me warm and fuzzy after hearing the song. His other renditions of classic Christmas songs albeit with a country feel are well done.

8.) This Christmas - 98 Degrees
98 Degrees is one of my favorite boy bands ever and with this Christmas album, like their other albums are pop laden carols that prove that though they do not have the best voices but the blending is really pleasant. Not too loud. Though some lyrics are cheesy in the end the album serves it purpose, a feeling of wellness during the holidays. And yes I still listened to this album until college during Christmas breaks.

9.) Home for the Holidays - 'N Sync
Compared to 98 Degrees, 'N Sync's album is more upbeat with Christmas dance-esque tracks. However traditional Christmas ballads are well interpreted like "The First Noel", "Oh Holy Night" and "The Christmas Song". I also listened to this during college for Christmas.

10.) "Do They know, It's Christmas" by Band Aid
Originally done in 1984, this song still echoes twenty seven years later as the world is still haunted by famine, skirmishes and wars. The remake twenty years later in 2004 is as good as the original.

Top Five Songs (I love these songs but the albums not so much)
1.) All I Want for Christmas is You - Mariah Carey
2.) Happy Christmas (War is Over) - John Lennon
3.) Merry Christmas Darling - The Carpenters
4.) Silver Bells - Matt Monro
5.) Sa Araw ng Pasko - Various Artists OPM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your list BerT! I also have this tradition of watching Love Actually every Christmas time... brings me to tears every time.