Tuesday, December 27, 2011

2001

It will be my ten year high school reunion in two days. I have been excited with this event since high school graduation (really) and I have been playing over and over in my mind how it will turn out. But as the day got closer I am starting to lose the giddy feeling. Yeah I am that preoccupied on something. But nonetheless since I was and still is looking forward to this day I will get my child like enthusiasm back.

2001 was the year I graduated from high school. Ten years. And now it never seemed like yesterday. Because it was indeed not so yesterday. But I never get that "parang kailan lang" feeling anymore that I used to. A lot of things has happened personally and also for the rest of mankind.

Here are some of the random memories I have of that year.

1.) It was the year of the Snake. I had a cousin, Therese who was born a month before high school graduation.
2.) The minimum fare in the jeepneys was four pesos, now it's seven pesos and fifty cents but the drivers don't have fifty cents change so you'd end up paying eight pesos. Sci-Hi to Ayala, you pay six pesos, now you pay ten pesos.
3.) A movie ticket costs thirty five pesos for deluxe and forty pesos for premiere. And SureSeats.com was non existent. Now admission prices range from one hundred sixty to two hundred pesos.
4.) Two hundred pesos gets you a movie, a meal at a fast food joint, arcade tokens and games from Timezone. Now it only gets you a movie and jeepney fare.
5.) There was no SRP yet so it takes about almost an hour to get to Talisay on heavy traffic. Now it's about fifteen minutes.
6.) The World Trade Center Towers were still standing in New York
7.) When I graduated the average peso dollar exchange rate was fifty five pesos for one dollar. I remembered I exchange a fifty dollar graduation gift when it rose to fifty six pesos!
8.)Ipods were still not marketed. But Discmans that can read CDs in MP3 formats were considered high tech!
9.) Cellphones with colored LCDs were not yet available. And yup a 3310 was sold for eight thousand pesos!
10.) Yes, life was indeed simpler way back then.

No comments: