Thursday, December 29, 2011

The 100th

Its about time I should say. Finally after three years and three months, this is it, my one hundredth post. When a TV show has reached its one hundredth episode a party is held in honor because reaching 100 episodes (that's about five seasons) is an amazing feat. A milestone to be cherished.

This blog became a witness to the events unfolding of my quite pathetic life, really starting when I was twenty four. I was in junior year in medical school, insecure but not showing it to my classmates, lost and confused and it feels like I am behind a waterfall - everything is blurry right in front of me. Career plans, options, medical jargon and life in general that time. In a way this blog has help me overcome all of those things.

Speaking of milestones, here are some of those unforgettable moments that I have experienced in between those one hundred entries.

1.) My internship which I really had huge doubts and was anticipating it to go downhill but it was not as bad as it initially seems. It was a year of learning, a test of patience and perseverance and pushing yourself to the limits. I have fond memories of it, but I would not do it over again.

2.) My parents renewed their vows on their silver wedding anniversary. At first they just wanted to travel abroad and spend time together but at the last minute, six weeks before the date, they then decided to do a renewal of vows ceremony. Despite the short notice, it was a solemn ceremony. And simple too - a trait my parents have embodied for the past twenty five years.

3.) My medical school graduation. And yes graduating from medical school with a majority of your sanity intact is no easy task. And studying to become a doctor leaves behind some neurotic tendencies.

4.) My post graduate internship, one of the best months of my life. One year full of learning, meeting new and interesting people, gaining confidence and further development of clinical skills and knowledge. Plus doing all those hectic duties, overwhelming workloads while having loads of fun. I could not ask for more. All I have of this magnificent year is good and unforgettable memories.

5.) The board examinations and all the drama, blood, sweat and tears. Honestly it was the most boring three months of my life. I would prefer having some action and then studying instead of just reading pages after pages of thick medical books. But I have to put this in here because looking back one lesson learned from this daunting three months was if you put your mind and heart into it and show the universe with all your effort it shall be done!

6.) And passing the medical board examinations and finally getting my license. It was very euphoric as if you are walking on clouds. Though most of my classmates consider this the highlight of the year, and I think I should but in my case being alive and healthy this year tops that. And yeah, I did not like the feeling when the gears switched to anxiety, followed by uncertainty.

7.) Having my first paying job and with this I got to realize how hard it is to earn nowadays.

And for the past 36 months I've been tested and tried, I stumbled, fell and got up with more bruises and cuts, I've met new people and formed relationships and traditions with them, I rekindled with old friends and strengthen those bonds making them stronger that covalent bonds, I've drifted with people, some I have cut off from my life, I've made peace with the Universe, I've come to appreciate family more, I got a thicker skin, I've grasped a whole lot of information but mostly trivial, I've learned things mostly the hard way.

In between victories and defeat, friends and enemies, fights and make ups, falling outs and career options, happy days and alcohol filled nights, highs and lows, ups and downs, clarity and uncertainty, this blog grew with me. All these things mentioned tied up together makes up my so called life. I have a love hate on and off relationship with it but I am trying to embrace it. And hey isn't those things make up what is life about? Cheers to the Good Life!

I wonder which milestones will happen as I go onwards to my two hundredth post?

No comments: