Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Best Sinulog Ever!

I admit, ever since we planned to party in the streets by having lunch and drinking alcoholic beverages I was so excited and I just can't help but think about it and was looking forward to it since last Monday after the exam! After all after two consecutive years of being a loser, it's about time I inhale the air of country's most grand festival! The chances of us being off duty next year is slim so that's why I really wanted to go all out and have fun, get wild and wasted and just have an awesome time.

It was a blast! I had the most wonderful time in the company of friends, previous acquaintances and new found friends together while eating grilled pork chops and fish, roasted chicken, pancit canton and siomai. Someone even brought black sambo - yummy! Then we started the alcoholic drinking spree right after at around 2 pm. In between gulps of beer and shots of tequila, I watched a little bit of the parade while standing on stools, playing Guitar Hero as an exit strategy to lessen the alcohol intake with some buddies, drank more, got tipsy, danced in the streets with most friends and other strangers while people passing were staring at us, smoked, watch a classmate exhibit a face plant on the concrete nonetheless, bumped and grind, strolled around Jones Avenue and tried to shoplift a pair of yellow Wayfarers, drank more and resisted the vomiting center, witnessed a lot of open forums and heart to heart talks, talked and talked with friends, all adding to an awesome time, baby! I've never laughed so hard in a long time.

I realized that I have friends that who are always there. I already knew this but today just solidified this fact.

There was also something relaxing while walking on the crowded streets full of dancers in colorful costumes, vendors selling anything from tribal necklaces to soaps and shampoos, people walking to sites that will give them full access to the parades, henna tattoo artists and the different policemen trying to maintain peace and order. I felt like I was the lead character of a Murakami novel. The setting was just a little bit surreal. Maybe it's because I haven't been in a really crowded place for a long time that it was almost refreshing and paradoxically serene.

With all the events happening today I associated this year's Sinulog as something that would have happened in an episode of a TV show like The O.C. or an independent film. It's that awesome!

I wanted this day to be memorable and I got what I wanted. The Best Sinulog of My Life, and it will be years to come to top this off. Will post pictures in the succeeding days...

No comments: