Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cold Fronts and All Hyped Up!

Cebu's been experiencing cold weather for almost a week now. The sun has been hiding somewhere or been on hiatus till she appeared earlier this morning for an hour and then she took off again. It's not usual Cebu weather but I'm loving the cold, windy sometimes drizzly days. People donning scarves and jackets that have been sequestered for too long in moth ball laden closets have filled the city streets and jeepneys everywhere!

As for me, the weather was so conducive for sleeping that for two straight nights all I did was curl up in bed and sleep to my heart's content. I hope the weather will continue through this Sunday so that the Sinulog festival will have a different tone to it. Usually it is hot and humid as shown from the previous years with occasional rain interrupting the merry making for a while then it's back to tropical weather. Dawnah says this cold environment for the Sinulog will be an excuse to strut with a scarf on your neck on Mango Avenue while watching the parade. I wonder how that goes for the dancers?

Right now there are a lots of things to do here in Cebu. The malls are still continuing the slash down sales and calling it Sinulog sale - is it sign of the times that the economic recession have worsen or does that signify that the people have more to spend? Bazaars are everywhere too! I think there is one in Colon St. and with opening of 138 mall (I think inspired from 168 in Binondo) gives us another choice for bargains. Then there is the annual stalls right in Osmena Boulevard, right in front of Abellana High School and the malls also have one. It's like a post-Christmas bonanza!

Two days ago, I went to MV Doulous, which last visited two years ago, but this time I was not only able to browse and buy through the book shop but I was able to see the ship and had a tour! We would've gotten a free lunch and we lack one person, for their lunch tour policy. When they docked at Pier 2 last Friday I was excited to visit again, so after Bioethics class last Tuesday, 5 of my classmates went. It was fun and it brought back childhood memories of the boat with my mother and siblings. I bought a pocket encyclopedia but a colorful book on Impressionists and a Guide on making punches and smoothies for only 125 each. Not much choices if your the type who read Nobel prize and award winners but if you're into Christian and Inspirational books you're in for a treat. Another highlight was eating the creamy vanilla ice cream. Yummy! Planning to go back before they sail away. I envied those cute little colorful books about art ranging from 100 - 200 each!

I am also hyped up for Sinulog!

The plan: We will be setting up a table in Arlington St. this year with my med school classmates. People will be bringing food and we will be pitching in money for drinks. In between tagays of beer and shots of tequila, some of us will be walking to Osmena Boulevard or Mango Avenue to watch the parade and take some pictures!

Hoping that this year's Sinulog will be the most memorable!

And yes, I will get wild and wasted! Maybe get a henna tattoo too! I'm praying that I'm not gonna get sick!

No comments: