Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sinulog Days of Yore

While I was channel surfing tonight, I chanced upon a showing of the remake of "The Ring" starring Naomi Watts on Studio 23. I then remembered the first time I watched this movie and it coincided with the Sinulog Weekend way back 2003. It was a Saturday, sophomore year of college, second semester, after Physical Education class which was about Crafts and Leisure, I think. We proceeded to Ayala, my classmates and I, to watch the movie. They were mostly new friends because this was the time when I was enrolled in a separate block from my usual friends due to unforeseen circumstances at the line during enrollment. We were so eager to watch the movie because we've been hearing raves and good reviews about it being scary, that the audience was screaming all time and it was indeed spooky. While waiting for the movie since we didn't catch an earlier showing right after lunch, we went to what was a parking lot now a jeepney terminal, under the heat of the sun watching the now defunct noontime variety show, MTB,  which was very popular that time. Yeah kinda crass but I admit I did have a good time. Then we watched the movie, sitting in the front at around three seats from the screen and it spooked the hell out of me. But the repeated viewings became predictable, after that we went to Mandaue City for Riza's party. The next day I went out with the same group of people to watch the parade. Imagine, I had to walk from Gaisano Metro in Colon St. all the way to Ramos St. where we would all be meeting. Then we walked a little bit more to Mango Avenue to brave the crowd to see the dancers on the island, across Jollibee. When the parade was over, we then took a jeepney all the way to P. Del Rosario St. to catch the remaining five performers. I was really glad I spent Sinulog that year with those people. Among the five of them, only one was able to graduate Medical Technology with me two years later, the rest shifted mostly to Nursing.

Watching TV tonight had open a floodgate of memories about an event I'll always look forward to at the start of the year.

When were kids we would always beg our parents to take us to the streets to watch the Sinulog and the would always say, "when you're all grown up, you can go out every year". I've always remembered that and indeed they kept their promise.

Those days the family will go to church on a Saturday anticipated mass, eat dinner, then, we, the kids would walk around malls buying books or any thing we want and then it was never complete without stopping at Glico's now Timezone and the currently defaced but renovated Entertainment Center in Ayala. It begun when I was in Grade 4. Some years it was a trip to the pool or beach on Sunday morning. Then watching the festivities live on TV in the afternoon.

The only childhood memory of me watching it live was sometime in the early 90's with little ol' me, sitting comfortably in the shoulders of our driver back then near the stage in front of the original White Gold Department store.

2001 was the first time I finally was able to go out but it was just malling in Ayala like any other teenager who decided to go out late since it was already to tiresome to walk all the way uptown.

The next year was the one where I had duties in ROTC. I was stationed right in front of the entrance to the grand stand! Those assigned there were able to see the dancers though not dancing, while some actually did, preparing for their turn to wow the crowd and the judges. So technically it was my first time to be in the streets. I was there from 6 am to 8 pm while trying to fight the urge to blow off some diarrhea. I even caught the fireworks. It was totally, a worthy experience!

After that, from 2004 - 2006, I went out to watch the parade, some years I just caught a concert and got wild or watch new movies in the mall and some I really partied! Partying and going crazy were exemplified during 2005 and 2006, the best ever Sinulogs in memory! I sat out the last two years because I was in a depression type of status and the exams were pulling my leg to stay at home. So pathetic as I've blurted out in a previous post.

Tomorrow, I'll definitely enjoy walking the streets, taking pictures, eating and drinking booze with my friends. This might be the last great Sinulog in a while and I'm not sure if I'll still have the luxury of time to just sit back or shout Pit Senyor! in the upcoming years. I'll take tomorrow all in, no matter what! Hoping it will be memorable because it was awesome not because something bad came.

No comments: