Monday, October 17, 2011

My City



Cause this city is my city
And I love it, yeah I love it
I was born and raised here
I got it made here
And if I have my way, I'm gonna stay here
For life, uh huh

I am not much of a fan of Hip Hop Music but the lyrics in this song strike me so. Obviously Patrick Stump (from Fall Out Boy) is not talking about Cebu City but the city he grew up in but the lyrics above I can totally relate. What I love about this song is you can totally feel the artists love for his city.

That's why I am limited in my employment options because it is very hard for me to leave Cebu and venture into Manila. It is easier said than done. I know that I will mature and grow if I get a job in Manila. I will live alone, do my own laundry, liquidate my earnings and be financially independent. I am aware that one day I should leave behind my comfort zone in order to gain some new insight. But my love for Cebu is one big hindrance that I could not overcome right now. Cebu is where the heart is. The only thing that will make it complete is the position I am applying for.

Maybe if all is not well by mid next year I must say good bye to Cebu for my own fulfillment but rest assured I will be coming back - as often as I can.

What's not to love - decent cost of living, the beach is just thirty minutes away and so is the mountains, Sinulog, delicious food, rich heritage, organized jeepney system, laid back people and atmosphere, and tolerable weather all year round. Despite the horrendous traffic, narrow roads, flooded streets, pollution it still doesn't matter. It does not make me love Cebu less.

So here you go, this song is dedicated to those people who were born, raised and made in Cebu!

1 comment:

Sitting Pretty said...

Hey, sweatyboy! I've missed reading your posts. How've ya been?

Even though I feel that I have yet to find the place where I can be completely happy and content, the place I can really call a home, Cebu has come the closest so far. Although there is so much I hated about it, there is also so much I loved about it. (Often it's the things that cause such conflicting emotions that are so difficult to resist!) People like you are way up there on that list of things I loved about Cebu. =)

As for moving away and growing as a person, I think you should totally do it. I think you'd regret not trying something new and Cebu will always be there for you when you come back a more mature and worldly person. =)

Take care, you!