Sunday, November 6, 2011

October Rushed Catch Up Post

The past month has been really fast. The days became weeks then the weeks became five and sooner than you know it the month ended already. It has been three weeks since I last posted and a lot of things has changed since then. I have met new people that are great to work with, old friends and classmates leaving going abroad or going back to their places of origin and some colleagues working already some as general physicians and others jumping into residency. And my employment prospects have become clearer and less murky compared to a month ago. Yes, better days are coming back in town. Let's just keep it that way since I don't want to count the chickens before the eggs have hatched. In short I don't want to jinx it. Anyhoo here are the details:

1.) Working in a district hospital an hour away from where I live has taught me discipline and time management. I really do enjoy working in Minglanilla (technically a municipality), which is considered the suburbs here. The staff are very friendly, accommodating and efficient. I am assigned both in the outpatient department, delivery room and OB ward 8 hours a day weekdays only. Weekend I usually turn down gigs to go on duty two to three hours away from the city. The job I have right now currently pays well (except paychecks are ridiculously delayed), relaxed and I get to see a maximum of 50 patients per eight hours, which I consider a decent number really. Not too exhausting. Plus I get to have weekends off which I have the option of covering other doctors or just chilling in bed or somewhere at my spontaneity's fancy.

2.) I got sick with the flu on a long weekend that coincided with Halloween. I had fever, body malaise, runny nose and dry cough. So this year unlike the previous no costume parties for me. I was in bed the whole time nursing myself back to optimum health by watching movies loaded with anti-histamines and mucolytics, on a water diet and going to the loo every two hours. I watched Suspiria, Bad Teacher, Crazy, Stupid Love and bits of The Shining (I have yet to finish this!).

3.) I went out Friday night, a day before I got sick to go to a bar and was able to hear Up Dharma Down live, up close and personal. Though I am not a big fan of them but I have heard a couple of their songs on MYX and YouTube and thought they make interesting music. I can't seem to classify it really more like a fusion of rock and jazz or something. So just to spend Friday night differently than the usual (which includes books, Entertainment Weekly or catching up on documentaries), I went out with my friend Guada for a night of drinks, pizza and good music. Man it felt good! I can't remember the last time I went out on a Friday night. Up Dharma Down rocks!

4.) Jo visited Cebu one weekend right before Halloween and it was catch up make up reaffirmation weekend. We got to talk personally, had sumptuous burgers in Dong Juan (can't believe I didn't drop by sooner!), coffee at Bo's Ayala for nostalgia's sake and exchanged pasalubongs which consisted of an artsy fartsy planner from Seoul and Special Edition Andy Warhol postcards. Our get togethers are always a blast. Can't wait for the next one come December.

5.) I finally made up my mind not to be shipped to Camiguin and I think it was the right decision as my employment hullaballoo called for a qualifying exam. It was nerve wracking and whats even more anxious is waiting for the call and results. But I am waiting as patiently as I can armed with hope and optimism and at the same time frightened as much as I don't want to mess up this one chance. Oh well. Rejection is better than regret but right now I am inducing myself with positive thoughts and good vibes.

And then we are down to the last two months of the year. The huge Christmas tree in Fuente is being currently set up. This means the holidays are coming!

No comments: