Thursday, October 6, 2011

Better than Expected

Starting the day with only about three hours sleep, had tequila shots the night before and a cold, bumpy two hour bus ride, I was already expecting that my first day as a general practitioner in a secondary hospital would not be a piece of cake but surprisingly, it was not as bad as I had anticipated. I had toxic days before and though I was the only doctor available with six admissions and two dozen consults I was lucky that the patients I had were stable except two and the other one eventually improved. Thank God!

The night before I had a hard time getting some shut eye. It was perhaps a combination of excitement to be back in action, nervousness since this is my first gig and I am doing it solo and last probably the sugar from the delicious birthday cake the night before. However my twenty four hour duty went smoothly and with my sympathetic nervous system taking over I was not dozing off. And I was able to sleep for four hours uninterrupted!

Not bad for a first timer. I was really proud of myself that I was able to recall on diagnosis and management. I am just hoping that those patients I admitted have improved or have discharged good as new.

After that experience and yes there are times that it can be really exhausting, I am hoping that everything will be alright and I will improve also for the better. I'm getting back on track albeit slow but surely I will really get there. Till next time. I'm crossing my fingers that I will get it right.

No comments: