Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer of 2011

This year I failed to do my yearly summer wrap up on time. I do it the same time as classes start or a week after that just to have some sort of boundary or deadline for summer's end.

If I have to describe this summer in one word, it was spontaneous. Every event I have this summer was unplanned or haphazardly planned but it in the end every one of them was memorable.

Also this summer was the most "un-summery". Compared last year where summer officially started with the end of my internship, this year there was no marker of when did it officially start. As far as I am concerned, as early as the first week of March it was already summer - the feel and the humidity.

This summer I only got to read three books (such a small number compared to my usual pace), seen a couple of good and bad movies, got very sweaty by the heat, did a speech, met a lot of people, made new friends and rituals, drifted apart with some pals and learned a lot again on life and it's reins. It's all good

Since this summer was by far the most different ever since I started this blog, I will do my recap differently just randomly. Instead of my usual award giving formula from the past years.

1.) The Medical Mission
This has got to be one of those spontaneous things that I am glad I went for it totally blindsided. All I know is I signed up for it since most of my colleagues who were off also did and it was all expenses paid from the fare down to the food. And it was also an opportunity to be a good Samaritan. Because of this medical mission I was able to go to Ormoc, Leyte for a stop over before going to Pilar, Camotes both places I have never set foot till that weekend. Pilar, Camotes though geographically nearer to Leyte, it is politically under the province of Cebu. The island is very isolated and there it was very refreshing to do consultations and circumcisions in the sand in flip flops. It was fulfilling to be of help. Volunteering is such a rewarding experience indeed. We were able to explore Ormoc City in twenty minutes and got a taste of the famous local burger then there was a frenzy to catch the last fast craft back to Cebu.

2.) End of PGIship
After the most awesome twelve months ever, it finally ended and boy did we celebrate on the weekend. The graduation ceremony was fun and fast paced and I delivered a speech. We had a karaoke party the night after the commencement exercises and then on Sunday island hopping which ended on an adventure hike on some island. I got drunk to shots of vodka. Plus the waves didn't help either.

3.) Books
Of course what is summer without the usual readings. This year is the lowest record of books I have read this summer. Can't blame me I was very busy. Really. The only books I read were "The Accidental" by Ali Smith, "Imperial Bedrooms" by Bret Easton Ellis and "Safe Haven" by Nicholas Sparks. All three are worthy reads.

4.) Mantayupan Falls
I've always wanted to go and visit this waterfall two hours away from the city. I finally did and I was able to drag my fellow PGIs for an afternoon of cold water, tuba tagay, food pig out and kidding around.

5.) Gangster photo shoot
One word: FUN! Taking pictures is fun but dressing up and playing different characters can be very very exhilarating. This was for our coffee table book as a commemoration of our internship in VSMMC. The pictures as expected came out awesome. We felt like celebrities indeed because our make up artists, hair stylist, photographers though amateurs proved that they were worthy to be called professionals!

And in between all those were last days of duties, Jo's two homecomings - one for her thanksgiving and then the next was a spontaneous long weekend, winning at Trivia Nights, hosting Trivia Nights, review class started, watching blockbusters, starting a new film blog,exercising, trying to be fit, canceled getaways which frustrated me a bit and counting down the days.

Till next summer. I predict that it will even be un-summery than this year. I'm crossing my fingers for more fun moments though.

No comments: