Thursday, June 2, 2011

Five Things I Wish I Could Do

Overall I am pretty contented with my life. Okay that sounded melodramatic. What I meant was I am satisfied with my skills and my command on some useless information. But this afternoon after trying to study Pathology with a slow velocity on the pick up of data, I felt a little bit pathetic that I am incapable of doing things that other people are good at.

Every time someone asks me on why do I know a lot of trivia like Summer Olympics host cities, movie stuff or music, I answer them with this: "I practically wasted my youth and teenage years watching a lot of movies, reading a lot of books and listening to music over and over again instead of socializing, taking up piano lessons or trying my hand at cooking. Oh well here are some things I wish that I could do:

1.) Play an instrument
It is my fault because as a kid I never had the patience to sit through piano lessons. All I can play are "Mary Had a little lamb" and "Do Re Mi." After that I just gave up and went to play shatong and Chinese garter to my heart's content. If I could then I would love to play the drums. During my bum days after my medical technology board exams, I wanted to take lessons but I was too ashamed. Deeply regretted it. I envy one of my colleagues, one who can play the cello and the other who can play the violin, keyboards and guitar.

2.) Cook a five course gourmet meal
My younger sister and brother both love to cook. When we were adolescents, they were very eager to try new recipes on their own with my mother's supervision of course. But right now both are busy with their respective careers - she as a marketing merchandiser and he doing his medical internship that they haven't cooked or baked for quite some time. I think I will still have time to catch up and learn how to cook on my own. I'll start with a simple pasta meal and after that maybe a five course gourmet meal will be a piece of cake.

3.) Dance contemporary
I, myself is a decent dancer. I have no formal training in any style but every opportunity to be able to dance, I grab it. I became very active in dance during my college days and medical school days. Way back in high school I was a member of the dance troupe but I did not get to perform a lot compared to when I was in med school. Watching "So You Think You Can Dance" for five years has very much inspired me to take up contemporary dance lessons. One major obstacle right now is time and my board exams.

4.) Sketch and illustrate
In this area I am just average. I can draw a great copy of a parasite during Parasitology lab or a drawing of acute hemorrhagic pancreatitis that's good enough to get me to pass Pathology lab. Other than that, I really wish that I could draw really really well - good enough to be able to publish a childrens book.

5.) Speak any foreign language fluently
I studied Spanish for two years and if I had continued I could have been fluent with it right now. I had to stop because the schedule was very hectic for high school and I have no one to practice with in the conversational exercises. Another cool language to master would be French, German and Nipponggo.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow!!! great list Bert! :)

...just take the time to think about this once a day, surely time and opportunity will just show itself!!! (ma annoy naman ka! mangitah naka ug way to fulfill it! bwahahaha!)

...it won't be easy. but as a popular saying goes, "if there's a will, there's ALWAYS a way!"

hehehe! (hala..nadugy gyud ko ug think sa i comment! ahax!)