Thursday, June 23, 2011

Incomprehensible Songs

Since I have been studying at least 8 hours a day recently, my constant companion a.k.a my reality check to prevent me from downward spiraling and developing mental illness, is music.

My current iPod has 8 GB capacity which is too small for my music taste. I mean sue me I used to have a 30 GB iPod Classic which never got even filled up before it was stolen so adjusting into this meager space for a broad music collection was kind of hard. Before I could put any album I want or load up on a certain rock band's discography. I do not have that privilege anymore and considering how much I love the 90's I put 350 songs worth of 90's hits which I listen to over and over again.

Though songs are not meant to be dissected like a narrative work of fiction ala Faulkner or Joyce, it has become my habit to analyze the lyrics and get into the psyche of the song writer as he was making his masterpiece. These are some of the songs in which I have listened to over and over for the past fourteen years but still can't get to the bottom of it's message or make sense of the words beyond the chords.

1.) "I Want It That Way" by The Backstreet Boys

To any aspiring pop stars out there, this song is a perfect example of a pop song - catchy, easy pitched and very karaoke friendly. Somehow the lyrics are quite contradictory. I don't get what they mean by "I want it that way"? Is it sex or something else remotely wholesome? One stanza he is telling the girl that she's his fire and desire and he wants it that way. The later stanzas he is asking if he's her fire and desire as well but he doesn't want her way? I think I am thinking way ahead and way too much.

2.) "One Headlight" by The Wallflowers

Jakob Dylan, an offspring of the enigmatic Bob Dylan, fronts this band who I think deserve more than a share of their hits. I hope they come out with a new album anytime. Oh well wishful thinking. When they debuted in 1997 one of their hit songs was this. The lyrics are well written and the song was strongly interpreted. However I don't get what they were referring to. Like was it about a marriage or a relationship and a broken down car as a metaphor? But despite of my lack of understanding on the meaning of the song, I'm loving its smooth bluesy alternative rock feel. My friend Jo and I have talked about this song a couple of times in coffee shops and so far no conclusions yet!

3.) "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba
Ah, one of those one hit wonders of the 90s. This song does not make sense at all. The lyrics talk about whiskey, lager, cider and all those alcoholic drinks and then shifts to looking for someone apparently named "Danny Boy". I think they were writing this song drunk and high from marijuana. Nonetheless every time this plays on my iPod I can't help it but dance along in the study area, arms flailing while sitting as if I've had had tequila shots before opening my books. Ah, the precious moments and anyone who's willing can join me anytime, anywhere.

4.) "Mmmbop" by Hanson
Okay, only the chorus seems bogus. This song talks about the irony of life with similes about flowers growing and losing your hair, but I'll always wonder what is Mmmbop? Is it like a swear word like F*** You? or a mantra to keep yourself going though you want to bang your head in the bathroom mirror every morning?

This is why I love the 90's so much. Makes me think beyond thinking.

No comments: