Sunday, September 11, 2011

Our Generation's Day of Infamy


Ten years ago, I will never forget this image that I've seen in television while I was browsing through the channels. It was my mom's 38th birthday and since my dad was in Hongkong that fateful day for a business trip, we just had a simple dinner at home and of course cake and ice cream for dessert. I was a freshmen in college that year and it was just another ordinary day at school. Laboratory work, lectures, upcoming exams, projects and as early as Tuesday as any student would, I was already anticipating for the weekend.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a movie or a trailer of an upcoming blockbuster. It was too unbelievable at first. It was very elaborate but it was reality happening, history unfolding and after that morning on September the world will never be the same again. That tragedy dictated on how the people of different nations, cultures and religions lived during the first decade of the new millennium.

I have always felt that my generation is privileged enough not to be able to live through war or experience war like our ancestors did. That war only happens in the news in some distant country, miles away from the shorelines of our little nation. What happened during that day shattered this blanket of security that we continued to believe as long as we existed. That the world is not the safe place we have always deemed it was. And we might have to live through one of things we wished we never have to experience.

The happenings of that seemingly peaceful Tuesday influenced the different aspects of the different citizens thereafter from religion, pop culture, lifestyle in all parts of the globe.

Despite the dread, despair and sadness that will continue for years to come, people have shown resilience, courage, hope and positivity in the light of the bombings. Many lives were lost and broken and in the end the brighter side of the human soul has flourished. May we never forget this day and the lessons it had enlightened us.

And after ten years, I still get goosebumps after watching the same footage again. I can't imagine being able to see it up close and personal...

Photo Credits: CNN

No comments: