Sunday, December 28, 2008

Adios, 2008! Vol. 1

In as little as 3 days 2008 will be over. Gone. It will be part of history and a pile of the previous years planners and calendars will be useless! This year brought a lot of new things and events that will be remembered in history!

I am ambivalent towards this year. I mean it was colorful all right with lots of things happening in my personal life and also the world around me as I know it. It was supposed to be my year - the year of the Rat - but it didn't quite feel that way. Overall, it was a year of tests - a test of strength, character and perseverance. It was a foreshadow of the upcoming years to come only milder. I've cherished triumphs from pulling off case conferences that at hindsight was a long shot getting good grades at unexpected exams especially when the studying was neither here nor there and I've endured failure both academic wise especially when expectations aren't met and failure as a person. I've realized that I wasn't as mature as I've aspired to be. I know I have mature but I still need time and more experiences to really say that I am already "mature". 2008 gave me lots of opportunities to polish that but most of the time I ended up whining and going back to the dumps and back again. Every fucking time. 

On a positive note, this year I've come to know more who really are my friends. Those people who have always been there for me anytime, anywhere and whether I am at the top or bottom have never failed to extend their support and concern through listening to me and cheering me up whenever I need a perky cheer to get me through the day or week. You guys know who you are. And to those who told me things straight to my face and letting me know what I need to do you are real friends indeed. By doing that I declare you as catalysts of my maturity and to those people who said things behind my back which you think I didn't know, I actually couldn't care less. It doesn't matter anyway.

With the curriculum for Junior year and Junior clerkship, I have learned so much even though I despise you to the core! I've learned determination, confidence and patience from the past eight months. Though I admit you've also given me the most headaches and stress combined!

2008 has been both fast and slow, happy and sad, gentle and harsh - a year of contrasts but I'll always remember this year for that. I mean, way back I couldn't have wished more that this year will be done with, now I ain't that in a hurry. Looking back again (I am so in emo mode), it was a pretty good year. Good but not great, a little bit bad but not horrible.

Unforgettable events:

1.) Heath Ledger died of an overdose - It was a bittersweet end. And I actually enjoyed most of his films and I commend him for being always in character. His performance in "The Dark Knight" is a fitting but creepy finale. But at the same time you couldn't help but wonder again and again - "what a waste of talent indeed for dying"

2.) Obama as the new US president - Though I was pining a little for Hilary Clinton because of her experience compared to him, despite her giving off an aura to me of catty and uptight WASP-ness, I couldn't be more happier that after 150 years of emancipation a black president is more than ready to rule one of the world's most influential countries. Part of the thrill is watching him make amends and reforms of the previous administration's incompetence. I am not gonna talk politics here but I hope he keeps his promise of ending the useless war in Iraq. It will be six years already come March and what has it done?

3.) Eight Golds for Phelps and the Beijing Olympics -This Olympics will be hard to top especially the opening ceremonies. I enjoyed it a lot. But Michael Phelps an American swimmer, who was diagnosed with ADHD, went on to break records and got the eight gold medals he was aspiring and surpassed Mark Spitz with his seven golds and he became the Olympian with the most medals. And he's still training to compete for 2012 in London. It was inspiring and exciting watching this guy harvest 'em all. With determination, hard work, will and the power of suggestion, you can reach your goals!

4.) The Recession
It was actually a pain in the pockets with prices soaring high - taxi fares getting expensive, dining out has become a luxury and shopping has become a little bit elusive. I was really pleased with the rollback at the end of the year.

5.) Philippine Politics as a Teleserye
Countless of scams from the ZTE broadband deal, to too much money on freaking fertilizers, an impeachment complain for the nth time and more backstabbing, party switching, walk outs and quotable quotes from so called respectable lawmakers have flooded the headlines in newspapers and can compete with the country's top soap operas in terms of drama (crying during Senate hearings) and comedy (from well pronounced and enunciated English).

6.) Britney's comeback
Britney Spears is indeed invincible. After battling a nasty divorce, encounters with the paparazzi, battling addiction in rehab, growing back her mane, she won 3 VMA's  after 16 nominations and no wins, had a fifth new album debut to number one selling 500,000 copies and she absolutely renewed and reinstated her image as a sex goddess, but this time she's a little classier. 

7.) David vs. David
I'm getting bored with American Idol. Being in the top 12 is reward enough since some instances those getting the boot are more successful than the winner or they can get their big break - theater, TV or an album that will never sell. Still, that's not bad for exposure. Though I'm borderline bored I tuned in religiously. This season was a hodgepodge of talent indeed. The finale was really unexpected with Cook, the rocker defeating the favorite, Archuleta who is more or less a Jonas brother specie, by at least 12 million votes. Cook was overshadowed early on but was recognized for his ability to make any song his own - into a rock/emo vibe (Always be my Baby, anyone) and showing personality every week. Both have never been in the bottom 3 so it was actually any one's game I supposed. 6 months later both released their albums with Cook debuting at no. 3 selling 283,000 copies compared to Archuleta's 185,000. Cook's album has already been gold and another single from any of those solid cuts on the album can propel it to platinum at least. Post-Idol battle spin off: Cook wins but Archuleta has a solid fan base.

8.) Cebu getting more urbanized
More access to the hottest trends, more malls, more places to hang out... On the other end capitalist greed, pollution, chaos and do not forget the every increasing traffic every rush hour. It doesn't help that the city's road uptown are not wide enough, so what can we do? Suck it up. If those people from Manila can make heavy and horrendous traffic as part of their routine, why can't we?

9.) Federer saves a slump
Roger Federer was ruling the world of tennis for at least 4 years. This year the Federer express train is showing signs of aging and slowing down to a halt. Critics are saying this is his worse year. I disagree. Though he lost the number one ranking to Nadal, he's still been showing consistency by reaching the semifinals at the Aussie Open and losing both finals of the French and Wimbeldon to his nemesis. It's still no easy feat to reach two finals! I have to say his showing is not at par with what a world number can show. It would have been a very bad year but I was happy as he won the Olympic doubles gold medal after losing during the quarters and taking home the US Open! Two more Roger and you'll be the greatest tennis player ever! And I wish you'd finally take home a French Open crown. I'm hoping you'll win the Australian this January, equaling Pete Sampras record and to make it sweet, win the French Open and you have overthrown him and joined the small elite group of players who have captured all Grand Slams!

10.) Internet revolution is getting stronger
You've come a long way baby! From dial ups and just e-mails for business, now the Internet is so hot that it's just keeps on getting better. You can get everything (almost) from the Internet. But what I love about it is it made the world even smaller. Plus networking and social groups are fun ways of keeping in touch plus video sharing and profiling have made stars out of ordinary people. What's next?

No comments: