Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Science of Sleep


Ever since I stopped working and started my sabbatical from the world of employment and wages I have been having tiny problems regarding sleep. Don't get me wrong I love sleep. But these are not life threatening medical problems.

Last month I've had dreams that are David Lynch-esque and it was both surreal and a bit upsetting. However I don't remember the bulk of those dreams but I swear it was like being stuck in Lynch's subconscious. And no matter how hard I try to remember them I usually just manage to picture one scene from such dreams when I wake up. It was like being in a black and white bleak world from the film "Eraserhead". Sometimes friends from high school, college, medical school and from the hospitals I've had worked know each other and mingle.

And the only one I can remember was the last dream I had two days ago. It was not as puzzling as "Mulholland Drive" but it was inexplicably odd. The theme was consistent like the rest of those dreams. It was set in medical school and it was Bioethics class and we were doing some kind of presentation about some medical issue I forgot. Yes, this is the class where we tackle euthanasia, abortion, patient confidentiality etc. Basically all those from the characters in "Grey's Anatomy" casually breach. The format was a talk show and I was the talk show host. It was set in an amphitheater (where we do these classes way back) and everybody from the school was there. The bizarre thing was though there were about a million pieces surrounding me I could not recognize any classmates nor schoolmates. However my professor was there. Then we were about to start. She then asked me if I was ready to start. And I said I was. Then suddenly, after I told her I was ready I had a mental block out right then and there. I could not remember for the love of God everything I was about to talk in front of the crowd. Nothing. I got nervous. John, one of my co-interns from post graduate internship who graduated from a different school, appeared and wished me luck. He then asked me why I missed his wedding(which happened a week ago) and then I woke up.

Right now I am having trouble falling asleep for two weeks now. I end up lying in bed for two to three hours before getting full shut eye. I want to have a normal circadian rhythm. I've tried everything what medical school has taught me. And still nothing is quite working yet. I've given up those afternoon naps and I read a lot of literature in bed.But I'm happy that a little progress has been made.

I guess this is the price you pay for having no work and no stress at all , no?

No comments: