Thursday, November 6, 2008

Plans for Halloween, What I Really Did on Halloween

Last weekend was the first time that I had classes on Halloween. It usually falls on a sembreak but due to being a junior in med school, we had sem break earlier because we started a month earlier so hopefully we could have one month break before back breaking, body killing internship.

We had been wanting to have a Halloween party and it push through! I went as Sherlock Holmes and I really had a fun time! Dinner was at Mooon and there were lots of picture taking! The dancing and drinks at Yo.U in One Mango Place. I'll post pictures in Multiply soon. Overall I was really happy that we did it, despite some people weren't into a costume-y mood but the fact that they showed up was good enough for me. Everybody from Clinics group was there.

Growing up, I look forward to watching Halloween specials on Magandang Gabi Bayan, a now defunct news documentary show. They feature ghost stories from places with reputations of being haunted. I admit that I do get disturb after.

Renting videos and movie marathons of horror movies was my Halloween thing during high school. College was relatively unmemorable - consisting of memories mostly of typical Filipino traditions like visiting the graves of dead relatives and lighting candles then lunch beforehand or dinner after. Most memorable Halloween has got to be 2004, because we had a Halloween party during internship. My costume was a Jedi, it was fun, though I got drunk during the party but afterward we went dancing till 4 in the morning. Fun. I miss those careless and reckless days of party all you want, without having to worry responsibilities and readings. What I don't like is having to recuperate the whole day the next day. Unlike before where I am up and about after just 4 hours of sleep - ready even for a whole day of malling and another night of bump and grinding. Oh well I think I've matured now.

This year my plans were DVD marathon of new horror movies I've missed from the past couple of months - "Mirrors", "The Strangers" and re watching classics like "Halloween", "Friday the 13th" and "The Scream Trilogy". Then visiting the dead relatives and then lunch out and shopping and then getting a good 8 hour sleep on both days of the weekend.

What I actually did: I was on duty assigned at the Ophtha Department. We didn't do anything. We just talked and then we ordered at McDonalds and the delivery guy came an hour late and botched up the orders. The next day I wasn't able to join the cemetery trip. Slept the whole morning. I was able to make it to lunch and some shopping but I went home to catch more zzzss. And last of all didn't have the 8 hour sleep I was hoping for, I had to catch up on the readings for the exam.

I think this is a preview of what my life will be like in the next couple of years - skipping holidays and losing the feeling of waking up after a good night's sleep.

Highlight of course was spending it with the family and Joanne invading Cebu this time around.

No comments: