Saturday, January 21, 2012

Why Sinulog 2012 Still Rocked!

Last Sunday was Sinulog, the grandest festival here in the Philippines. If I could describe it in three words, I'd say wild, fun and crazy in a heartbeat.

This Sinulog, most of my friends whom I've spent the past two or three Sinulogs getting drunk with are either working or on duty, made other plans with other people or simply not living or based in Cebu anymore. But I was determined to spend Sinulog on the streets and not at home. Since I am not working on that weekend I might as well go out and join in the revelry. A Sinulog alone in the streets is still way better than a Sinulog spent sulking at home.

Without any plans or arrangements with anyone, I woke up early despite sleeping at 3 am earlier after a concert. Armed with excitement and a drawstring bag with the following contents: an extra shirt, a Murakami book, a towel, my camera and my Panama hat, I've programmed my mind that I will have a good time, no matter what.

And it was GREAT! I met up with two French girls, who were also first timers to witness the festivities. Celine, whom I have met three months before, texted me the night before that she would love to come with me while watching the parade. I told her, yes we can, if we manage to meet, knowing that the networks will be clogged up with messages and late replies. But somehow we did.

She introduced me to her friend Gaille, and the three of us spent the whole day watching the parade the whole day. Thanks to their friend Eva's passes, we were allowed to enter beyond the ropes that served as crowd control barricades and we got to see the dancers, floats, higantes and celebrities up close and personal. Then in the afternoon it was too hot to stand near the Fuente circle we then transferred to General Maxilom avenue cor. F. Ramos St. and continued to watch the parade still up close and personal, take pictures and just dance along to the beat of the drums to the ever familiar sound of the Sinulog beat. Gaille's feet even got battered and muddy as people were trying to make their way across or try to catch a glimpse of the parade. I even told her, Foot Stomping: Its more fun in the Philippines! After the parade we had dinner, Gaille went home to shower and Celine and I marched to Abellana to watch the grand finale cultural presentation show and fireworks. The theme for the closing dance was Cebu and the world. And they did a splendid job in blending the choreography, singing, visuals and culture. It made me so proud to be 100% Cebuano that I can't help but got teary eyed for a while. After we walked back to Jones Avenue and witnessed Club Ultima's fireworks showcase.

According to news reports around 3 - 4 million in estimates attended the Sinulog Mardi Gras that's a million people more than the usual crowd in the Rio de Janeiro and New Orleans festival. Oh yes, Sinulog ain't called the grand daddy of Philippine festivals for nothing!

Overall it was an awesome, memorable and traditional Sinulog. Traditional in the sense that this is the first time in ten years that I did not even load my system with alcohol. So Sinulog 2012 will be labeled as "The Year in Which I Never Got to Drink a Single Ounce of the Dope".

Sinulog 2012 in a nutshell: People Pushing, Rope Pulling, Shoving and Screaming, Foot Stomping, Crazy Crowd, Extremely Close and Incredibly Loud, Colorful Costumes, Famous People, Old Friends, New Faces, Familiar People, Two French Girls, One Lucky Pass and Zero Alcohol For Me! Till next year! Even my French guests both agreed with me! They both say its crazy!

No comments: