Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Someone Old, Someone New







Last week as I had shouted out in my FB account that it was all about friends and the bonds that we establish with them - both old and new. Friends who make you a priority in their lives.

I've always consider myself a social butterfly. I get along with anyone easily. Since high school, though I have my personal set of friends I usually hang out with different people from different cliques as long as we can strike up a conversation that's engaging. This has continued on till college, medical school, postgraduate internship and even now as I am already practicing a general physician.

I've had realized a long way back that I am indeed blessed to have found some friends that are worth keeping. And last week solidified that fact and I am very grateful to have met new ones who are as cool, awesome and insightful as my lifelong friends.

These relationships, no matter how cheesy it sounds, does make life more colorful. Friends who become family through the rituals that are regularly actualized. Friends who are part of the thread that make up the quilt that is life. What's even more amazing is how we become part of a certain friend's milestone - engagements, weddings, baptisms, children's parties, board examinations and employment successes, pregnancies and whole lot more. Significant others of our friends become our friends too, the group widens and the circle of life continues through weekend gatherings, board game sessions, trivia nights, epic drunken sessions, brunches and dinners, a trip to the movies or even just a simple regular phone call every night. Sooner than we know it we have become old and but still young at heart.

Last week so far is the first happy week for 2012. And that's because of friends who made me feel that I am part of another family, (their families) not bounded by blood but by interest and values but surprisingly as strong as those bounded by blood. Cliche it may seem but brothers and sisters from another mother. Next to family, if you can get by with a little help from your friends then you are on your way to contentment and peace that money can't buy. Cheers to more milestones and life affirming experiences!

No comments: