Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Bucket List Update: Episode 1

Previously:
2011 Bucket List
1.) White Water Rafting in CDO
2.) Take "The Plunge" in Danao, Bohol
3.) Cook a pasta solo
4.) Have a John Hughes movie marathon
5.) Read and finish a classic English novel in a month
6.) Join a Fun Run
7.) Pick up a new hobby
8.) Try Capoeira classes
9.) Mini Golf!
10.) Eat any exotic cuisine or dish

EAT ANY EXOTIC CUISINE OR DISH

Last weekend I was privileged enough to be invited to a medical mission organized by Living Ministry of God also known as the "soul movers". It was all expenses paid from the food down to the fare and getting to help people from faraway towns through consultations and circumcisions for kids is very fulfilling and a weekend well spent. The medical mission was to Pilar, Camotes. This is my second time to visit the group of islands but the first time I did was to San Francisco, a town an hour away and it was a vacation on the beach with my group mates from Freshmen year. Another bonus was we were able to have a quick stopover in Ormoc, Leyte en route to both Pilar and Cebu so I was able to explore the downtown, ate at a local famous burger (a take out since we only had twenty minutes to spare) and I was finally able to set foot in Leyte for the first time.

Above: This was the sea urchin roe all in one bucket!

I never did expect that one day after posting my late 2011 Bucket List in this blog that I will be able to scratch out one item. When we were having lunch I noticed a a big pail full of exotic looking sea creatures which one of the locals who were hosting us told me was part of our meal. I asked John and Lee, two other colleagues who were also invited what was those circular seaweed green objects. They told me it was locally called Swaki or in English Sea Urchin Roe. It is a delicacy eaten raw fresh from the ocean or with vinegar or soy sauce common in island communities all over the Philippines. Dr. Gines, the one who invited us, told me that it is indeed an exotic dish and it is sold quite pricey in Japan. I googled it when I got home, the Japs call it Uni.

Since the opportunity to be able to start doing my list, I then decided to go for it! So John then taught me how to open up the sea urchin using a knife and removing some of its vital organs that were not edible and then off I go putting the roe in my mouth.


The verdict: Since I ate it raw and fresh, it tastes kind of weird but not repulsive and a tinge of sweetness. Let's just say it's like trying to eat a seaweed. I will eat one again but I will not crave for it.




One down, nine to go!

No comments: