Thursday, January 23, 2014

2013 A Look Back

It's a bit overdue but I want to do this. I've been wanting to really since New Year's Eve but just found the time to do it so.

I've shouted in my Facebook 3 days before the new year that 2013 was a year of natural disasters, inner demons, turning points, wrecking balls and a LOT of learning. I think its a turning point year. It could have been better but it could have been worse as well. Generally thought it was a character builder of a year. Here was 2013 in a nutshell.

Highlights:

1.) Being deployed to Bohol for a week as part of a Trauma Team relief operations after the October quake. That earthquake opened up a lot of epiphanies on life and in which direction I should take in my career. And during that week I felt a sense of purpose in my chosen profession. I spent three memorable summers in Bohol and it was so heartbreaking to see personally the damage it left. And the fact that we were recognized by the Orthopaedics Board was just a bonus. A sweet icing on the cake.
2.) Meeting new friends that actually can connect with you and getting to hang out with them quite often. Thanks to Cebu Trivia Night and Cebu Boardgaming Society for this.
3.) The interview on local TV about firecracker injury prevention for the second straight year. Glad to be of service and spreading knowledge. My parents watched it twice. I didn't. It makes me cringe.
4.) The solo surgeries especially the anticipation, the adrenaline rush, the challenge and the fulfillment post-operative.
5.) My first journal club report during the Philippine Orthopaedic Association and was met with positive reviews.
6.) The paintball event last September with fellow Orthopods.
7.) My brother's board exam success in the Physician's Licensure Examinations.
8.) My sister's engagement.
9.) My expanding graphic novel collection.
10.) December. The whole month was just unforgettable. It was a balance of both work and pleasure. Despite the fact that I was swamped with patients in the hospital I was able to hang out with my different groups of friends, fellow residents, families and actually enjoyed it.

Low Points:

1.) The merry month of May. This month I was almost at the edge of falling. April ended with me crying hot tears of frustration and exhaustion in Osmena Boulevard and capping it off with absence seizures right in front of Robinsons. I really wanted to quit Residency then and there, But I manned up and continued. But shit that month was helluva of a roller coaster ride of volatile vitriolic emotions and insecurities.
2.) November. Yolanda. What a bitch. Enough said. The damage you have caused just cannot be paralled by anything else.
3.) All the bullshit nonsense drama which I was able to block out.
4.) I've failed in all of my New Year's resolutions last year. Double double boo!
I really have high hopes that 2014 will be great. A lot of things to be excited about. For my family, friends, career, colleagues, first vacation leave, turning 30, more solo surgeries, new friends, graphic novels and whole lot more. So far it has started off pretty well. Hope this will continue for 11 more months. 2014 I'll try like hell to be strong and to make you mine. Good vibes ahead!

No comments: